Monday, October 15, 2012

Recipe for a Happy Morning

I'm a morning person.  There I said it.  People closest to me hate that I'm smiley and talkative so early in the a.m. (you know who you are).  I definitely have my grumpy morning days but I think it is so important to start the tone of the day with a positive outlook.  For me, how I start my morning usually determines what type of day I will have.  If I forget my keys, leave my umbrella home on a rainy day or run into mean people on the train, odds are I'm going to be frustrated.  So,  here are a few things I do to ensure a good morning:


  • Wake up at least 30 minutes earlier.  By waking up a little earlier, you eliminate the chance of rushing.  I don't know about you but I hate being rushed.  Use this extra time wisely.  To start the tone positively, do something that puts you in a good mood.  Drink coffee while reading a newspaper or magazine.  Meditate if it relaxes you.  Take a warm bath instead of rushing a shower.  Find what makes you happy and do it.
  • Breakfast! I can not stress how important breakfast is.  You want to kick start your metabolism so you don't over eat and feel sluggish by lunch.  Eat something balanced, not greasy.  Greasy food will only make you feel bloated and lazy.  Oatmeal is a good choice because it keeps you full longer.  I like drizzling honey on mine. If you're not into breakfast, at least grab a fruit.  The point is to have something in your tummy to jump start your body (and mind).   
  • Prepare. One thing I'm guilty of wasting time in the a.m. is looking for an outfit.  If your closet is disorganized, it's going to take double the time.  Try prepping your outfit the night before.  I struggle with this but I'm a work in progress.  I'm sure we all wish we had Cher's mechanical closet in Clueless but we have to make do with what we have.  Accessories are always part of an outfit so if you're anything like me and switch purses like underwear, it is key to prep your purse the night before as well.  If you do choose your outfit in the a.m., at least put the important stuff in a pile so you can dump the items in chosen purse.
  • Entertainment. Music is vital to a good morning for me.  I don't know about you but I like to use my morning commute to zone out and daydream.  That is usually when great ideas are born so keep a notebook handy.  Whether it's sudoku, a book or music like myself, find something that puts you in a great mood. 
What are some things you do to jump start your morning, or do you wing it?
Follow me on FACEBOOK 
Follow me on TWITTER
Follow me on PINTEREST

No comments:

Post a Comment